- Graduate of a Registered Practical Nursing Program and currently certified with the College of Nurses of Ontario;
- Current certificate in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Demonstration of strong nursing practice, skill, and judgement
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills including distinguished verbal communication abilities
- Demonstrated critical thinking, leadership and mentoring skills
- Exhibits the ability and competence to work with all computer systems and applications
- Exercises behaviours consistent with Riverside Health Care’s Code of Conduct
- Retains a reliable attendance record
- Ability to execute the essential duties of the job
- Willing to work flexible hours including days, evenings, nights and weekends
- Dependable, competent and with mental and physical health sufficient to meet the demands of the position
- Carry out all work assignments safely and be knowledgeable and in compliance with relevant regulations, policies, and procedures
- Familiar with Occupational Health & Safety Workers’ rights and responsibilities
- Performs according to the Standards of Professional Practice set out by the College of Nurses of Ontario and in compliance with the policies, procedures, and standards of Riverside Health Care Facilities.
- Accepts clinical responsibility and professional accountability for the care delivered to assigned patients.
- Participates as a member of the interdisciplinary health care team, fulfilling responsibilities as a member of the nursing discipline.
- Complies with The Ethical Framework for Nurses in Ontario (College of Nurses of Ontario).
1. Delivers direct/indirect patient care according to the Standards of Practice of the College of Nurses of Ontario and in compliance with the philosophy, goals and objectives of the Department of Nursing, as follows:
(a) Assessment: Admits patients, obtains a history and initial and ongoing assessment of the nursing needs of assigned patients.
(b) Planning: Develops a plan of care which assigns priorities and prescribes nursing actions to achieve the desired outcomes for an individual and/or group of patients.
Develops a plan of care within 24 hours of admission considering: i) ongoing assessment of the patient’s individual needs
ii) current priorities
iii) the medical/interdisciplinary care plans
Assures the plan of care is feasible in terms of human resources, time and materiel resources.
Revises plan of care as dictated by the patient’s needs and medical plan of care.
(c) Implementation: Co-ordinates and executes the physician’s orders according to the medical plan of care; coordinates the activities of other health team members.
Performs nursing actions required for implementation of Patient Care Plans.
Implements a teaching plan based on the patient’s and families’ identified needs.
Provides support to patient and family in understanding and coping with patient illness.
Provides care in the designated area at a skill level which demonstrates the required knowledge and expertise.
Communicates and consults with physicians and other health care professionals when indicated.
Completes, systematically, the assigned duties conserving time, energy and supplies. Assist patients to achieve or maintain optimal independence.
Provide for the safety and well-being of the individual patient, including the environment.
(d) Evaluation: Continuously evaluates the outcomes of the nursing care of patients and modifies nursing measures and approaches accordingly.
Evaluates with the patient the results of nursing actions to increase or maintain self-care ability.
Revises with the patient, family and relevant others the expected patient outcome, priority and nursing actions as required.
Maintains appropriate documentation and records of observations, nursing care administered and patient’s response.
Ensures continuity of patient care through effective reporting at change of shift.
- Participates in departmental and related committees/meetings when required.3. Participates in educational activities and programs for patients and staff.
- Participates in the orientation of new staff.
- Reports any untoward/unusual incidents to the Nurse Manager or designate, and record appropriately.
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for independent actions.
- Attends and participates in appropriate courses, conferences and workshops to promote professional growth and development.
- Assists in the evaluation of staff performance.
- Demonstrates the ability and competence to work with all computer systems and applications within the acute/long-term care setting, such as but not limited to Meditech, Gold Care, Word, Excel.
- Participates in the patient experience by performing bedside reporting, hourly rounding, and implementing and updating the patients beside whiteboard.
- Participates in the department’s quality management program.
- Carry out all work assignments safely and be knowledgeable of and in compliance with relevant regulations, policies and procedures. (i.e., Occupational Health and Safety Act).
- Other such duties or responsibilities as may be delegated from time to time by the Nurse Manager or delegate.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Corporation Policy
- Human Resources Policy
- Union Policy
- Departmental Policy
- Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check