The Nursing department has two (2) openings for Registered Nurse in Med Surg at La Verendrye General Hospital. The successful candidates must be able to meet the normal requirements of the job and possess the following qualifications:
- Current Certificate of competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario;
- Current CPR;
- Acute Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), preferred;
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP), preferred ;
- Demonstration of strong nursing practice, skill and judgement;
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills including distinguished verbal communication abilities;
- Demonstrated critical thinking, leadership and mentoring skills;
- Exhibits the ability and competence to work with all computer systems and applications;
- Exercises behaviours consistent with Riverside Health Care’s Code of Conduct;
- Willing to work flexible hours, including days, evenings, nights and weekends;
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skill with the ability to function effectively independently, within a team, with front line personnel, and management;
- Demonstrated ability to function effectively in a fast-paced healthcare environment with excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to multitask and prioritize workload;
- Dependable with a verifiable acceptable attendance record;
- Proven ability to perform the essential duties of the position on a regular basis.
- Performs according to the Standards of Nursing Practice setout by the College of Nurses of Ontario and in compliance with the policies, procedures, and standards of Riverside Health Care Facilities.
- Accepts clinical responsibility and professional accountability for the care delivered to assigned patients.
- Provides effective delegation and supervision of subordinate members of the patient care team (e.g., RPN’s, Health Care Aides, students).
- Participates as a member of the interdisciplinary health care team, fulfilling responsibilities as a member of the nursing discipline.
- Complies with the Code of Ethics for Registered Nurses (Canadian Nurses Association) and The Ethical Framework for Nurses in Ontario (College of Nurses of Ontario).
1. Delivers direct/indirect patient care according to the Standards of Practice of the College of Nurses of Ontario and in compliance with the philosophy, goals and objectives of the Department of Nursing, as follows:
(a) Assessment: Admits patients, obtains a history and initial and ongoing assessment of the nursing needs of assigned patients.
(b) Planning: Develops a plan of care which assigns priorities and prescribes nursing actions to achieve the desired outcomes for an individual and/or group of patients.
Develops a plan of care within 24 hours of admission considering: i) ongoing assessment of the patient’s individual needs
ii) current priorities
iii) the medical/interdisciplinary care plans
Assures the plan of care is feasible in terms of human resources, time and materiel resources.
Revises plan of care as dictated by the patient’s needs and medical plan of care.
(c) Implementation: Co-ordinates and executes the physician’s orders according to the medical plan of care; coordinates the activities of other health team members.
Performs nursing actions required for implementation of Patient Care Plans.
Implements a teaching plan based on the patient’s and families’ identified needs.
Provides support to patient and family in understanding and coping with patient illness.
Provides care in the designated area at a skill level which demonstrates the required knowledge and expertise.
Communicates and consults with physicians and other health care professionals when indicated.
Completes, systematically, the assigned duties conserving time, energy and supplies. Assist patients to achieve or maintain optimal independence.
Provide for the safety and well-being of the individual patient, including the environment.
(d) Evaluation: Continuously evaluates the outcomes of the nursing care of patients and modifies nursing measures and approaches accordingly.
Evaluates with the patient the results of nursing actions to increase or maintain self-care ability.
Revises with the patient, family and relevant others the expected patient outcome, priority and nursing actions as required.
Maintains appropriate documentation and records of observations, nursing care administered and patient’s response.
Ensures continuity of patient care through effective reporting at change of shift.
- Participates in departmental and related committees/meetings when required.
- Participates in educational activities and programs for patients and staff.
- Participates in the orientation of new staff.
- Reports any untoward/unusual incidents to the Nurse Manager or designate, and record appropriately.
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for independent actions.
- Attends and participates in appropriate courses, conferences, and workshops to promote professional growth and development.
- Assists in the evaluation of staff performance.
- Demonstrates the ability and competence to work with all computer systems and applications within the acute/long-term care setting, such as but not limited to Meditech, Gold Care, Word, Excel.
- Participates in the department’s quality management program.
- Other such duties or responsibilities as may be delegated from time to time by the Nurse Manager or delegate.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: