- Graduate of a Registered Practical Nursing Program and currently certified with the College of Nurses of Ontario;
- Current certificate in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation;
- Must have a valid Ontario driver’s license and have access to a personal vehicle;
- Demonstration of strong nursing practice, skill, and judgement;
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills including distinguished verbal communication abilities;
- Demonstrated critical thinking, leadership and mentoring skills;
- Exhibits the ability and competence to work with all computer systems and applications;
- Exercises behaviours consistent with Riverside Health Care’s Code of Conduct;
- Willing to work flexible hours including days, evenings, nights and weekends;
- Dependable with a verifiable acceptable attendance record;
- Proven ability to perform the essential duties of the position on a regular basis;
- Carry out all work assignments safely and be knowledgeable and in compliance with relevant regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Familiar with Occupational Health & Safety Workers’ rights and responsibilities.
- Performs according to the Standards of Professional Practice set out by the College of Nurses of Ontario and in compliance with the policies, procedures and standards of Riverside Health Care Facilities.
- Accepts clinical responsibility and professional accountability for the care delivered to assigned clients.
- Within an interdisciplinary team context, provide care across the continuum (community/acute care sites) by liaising with interdisciplinary team members, coordinating, implementing clinical interventions, evaluating client/patient outcomes based on evidence informed best practices, coordinating ongoing care, supporting transition, and partnering with client/patient/family/care givers to implement and maintain care and service plans.
- To provide individualized support services and assistance to meet the needs of the client/patient.
- Observe and document client/patient conditions and changes following proper standards and in accordance with professional standards.
- Complies with The Ethical Framework for Nurses in Ontario (College of Nurses of Ontario).
1. Delivers direct/indirect patient care according to the Standards of Practice of the College of Nurses of Ontario and in compliance with the philosophy, goals and objectives of the Department of Nursing, as follows:
(a) Assessment: Admits clients/patients, obtains a history and initial and ongoing assessment of the nursing needs of assigned clients/patients.
(b) Planning: Develops a plan of care which assigns priorities and prescribes nursing actions to achieve the desired outcomes for an individual and/or group of patients.
Develops a plan of care within 24 hours of admission considering:
i) ongoing assessment of the client’s/patient’s individual needs
ii) current priorities
iii) the medical/interdisciplinary care plans
Assures the plan of care is feasible in terms of human resources, time and materiel resources.
Revises plan of care as dictated by the client’s / patient’s needs and medical plan of care.
(c) Implementation: Co-ordinates and executes the physician’s orders according to the medical plan of care; coordinates the activities of other health team members.
Performs nursing actions required for implementation of client/patient Care Plans.
Implements a teaching plan based on the client’s/patient’s and families’ identified needs.
Provides support to client/patient and family in understanding and coping with client/patient illness.
Provides care in the designated area at a skill level which demonstrates the required knowledge and expertise.
Communicates and consults with physicians and other health care professionals when indicated.
Completes, systematically, the assigned duties conserving time, energy and supplies. Assist clients/patients to achieve or maintain optimal independence.
Provide for the safety and well-being of the individual client/patient, including the environment.
(d) Evaluation: Continuously evaluates the outcomes of the nursing care of clients/patients and modifies nursing measures and approaches accordingly.
Evaluates with the client/patient the results of nursing actions to increase or maintain self-care ability.
Revises with the client/patient, family and relevant others the expected patient outcome, priority and nursing actions as required.
Maintains appropriate documentation and records of observations, nursing care administered and client’s/patient’s response.
Ensures continuity of client/patient care through effective reporting at change of shift.
2. Provides safe, competent, compassionate and ethical nursing care to ensure the personal safety of clients/patients.
3. Uses appropriate assessment tools and techniques in consultation with clients/patients and the health care team to assess clients/patients regarding physical, emotional, spiritual, cultural, cognitive, developmental, environmental and social needs.
4. Engages client/patient using a collaborative approach, building rapport and trust, achieving a mutual understanding and agreement to identify actual and potential client/patient health care needs, strengths, capacities and goals.
5. Establishes and maintains appropriate professional boundaries with clients/patients and the health care team, including the distinction between social interaction and therapeutic relationships.
6. Participates in necessary care conferences with Health Care team
Maintains the knowledge, skills and attitudes to provide safe, efficient, effective care in all areas of practice by keeping abreast of changes in practice setting that affect scope of practice.
7. Maintains professional client/patient records related to client encounters and plans in compliance with the organizations policies and the standards applied by their regulatory body.
8. Shows respect for cultural needs, dignity, privacy and confidentiality of clients
9. Must be able to organize time to ensure community and admitted clients’/patients’ needs for assessments are met.
10.Communicates with the health Care team with regards to functional ability within the home, perceived barriers in the home
11.Must be solution oriented to attain the goal of discharge home whenever possible
12.Participates in departmental and related committees/meetings when required.
13.Participates in educational activities and programs for clients/patients and staff.
14.Participates in the orientation of new staff.
15.Reports any untoward/unusual incidents to the Nurse Manager or designate, and record appropriately.
16.Accepts responsibility and accountability for independent actions.
17.Attends and participates in appropriate courses, conferences and workshops to promote professional growth and development.
18.Assists in the evaluation of staff performance.
19.Demonstrates the ability and competence to work with all computer systems and applications.
20.Carry out all work assignments safely and be knowledgeable of and in compliance with relevant regulations, policies and procedures. (ie Occupational Health and Safety Act).
21.Other such duties or responsibilities as may be delegated from time to time by the Nurse Manager or delegate.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Must comply with: